Virgo, our mutable Earth sign, invites you to consider what you are in service to, to pour your gifts out for the world, to unite your body and mind, and to analyze, discern, and purify. It’s a season to find clarity around what you feel called to devote yourself to. We’ll be exploring themes of both nature and devotion throughout the following card spread and ritual.
In this blog post, I’ll be sharing a card spread and a ritual for Virgo season. Check out our Understanding the Energy of Virgo Season blog post to learn more about Virgo energy and your personal birth chart’s connection to Virgo.
Card Spread for Virgo Season
We’ll use this card spread to explore the invitations and lessons Virgo has to teach you this season. Feel free to use a tarot deck or an oracle deck (like the Zenned Out Ritual Deck) for this spread – whichever resonates with you.
I invite you to create a ritual space for you and your deck to communicate by taking a moment to ground and center yourself however feels good to you. In the spirit of Leo season and Earth energy, you might like to explore dropping a grounding cord into the earth or meditating with a plant.
When you feel grounded and ready, shuffle your deck and draw a card for each of the following questions:
- What is Virgo season here to teach me?
- What am I being called to devote myself to this season?
- What is no longer needed & can be released this season?
- What possibilities are Virgo season is opening up for me?
After you pull your cards, sit with them. Try to take some time to journal or meditate with them to really connect with the full meaning they have to offer you. At the end of Virgo season, you might like to revisit your cards and reflect on how they unfolded throughout the season. How did they show up? What did you learn about yourself and the cards through the way they manifested this season?
Virgo Season Ritual for Devotion
For me, Virgo evokes a lush, nature-based beauty, so feel free to make your space beautiful for this ritual in whatever ways feel good to you and perhaps align with what you’re devoting yourself to. For example, if you’re devoting yourself to love, it could feel good to sprinkle yourself with jasmine oil and surround yourself with rose quartz and rose petals.
For this Virgo season ritual for devotion, you’ll need:
- A candle
- Paper and pen
- Any oils and/or herbs you’d like to roll your candle in
- Something to carve your candle with, like a safety pin
- Anything to make your space feel beautiful
- A small bowl of water
As always, follow your intuition! That’s what makes ritual the most powerful. Here are my suggested steps for this Virgo ritual.
1. Once your space is set in a way that feels good, take a moment to ground yourself and reflect on what you’d like to devote yourself to this season.
2. If you did the tarot spread above, you could take that card that answered the question about devotion and meditate with it. Or, you might simply like to journal to the question: what do I desire to devote myself to this season?
3. When you feel clear, gather your candle and any oils and herbs that go along with that intention. I wrote a whole blog post on oil and herb correspondences for candle magic that you can check out here!
4. Dress your candle by carving your intention into it, rolling it in oil, and rolling it in herbs.
5. Light your candle and take out your pen and paper. Take your time to write a poem, a letter, or any words that feel good to whatever it is you’re devoting yourself to: love, courage, trust, mystery, whatever it is for you.
What do you want to say? What do you want to send out into the universe? What are the words and desires in your heart? Write them down!
6. When you feel complete, read your words out loud to your candle as many times as you’d like. Let them wash over you, let them sink in, let the smoke from your candle carry them into the clouds.
7. Then, take your water and anoint yourself with it by sprinkling it over your head, on your pulse points, or anywhere else that feels good. As you sprinkle it and let it soak into your skin, know that you are committing to this devotion and asking to co-create with this energy.
8. Close your ritual by letting your candle burn down and returning the rest of the water to the Earth.
Happy Virgo season! I hope this card spread and ritual support you this season.
About Eryn Johnson
Eryn Johnson is a breathwork facilitator, tarot reader, and Reiki Master based in Fishtown, Philadelphia. She is also the host of the Living Open podcast for mystics and seekers, a storytelling tool here to help facilitate soul evolution. The foundation of her work is energetic and based on the belief that there's nothing wrong with you- we are simply programmed from a young age to forget the truth of who we are. She uses energy work, storytelling, and breathwork to guide you back to you - your heart, your power, your magic. Find her work at www.living-open.com and @erynj_ on Instagram.