Have you ever wished that you could trigger a certain emotion at any given time? Sure, its healthy to move through uncomfortable emotions in order to heal. However, some negative emotions can become enslaving and stop serving a purpose.
Creating positive emotional anchors is a great tool for combatting your daily triggers. Bonus, it’s pretty easy, and you probably have everything you need (maybe even in your purse!).
If you’ve had it with overriding emotions of fear, anxiety and depression, I invite you to add this to your enlightened tool belt. Having a go-to emotional anchor is kind of like having your favorite person on reserve for a hug anytime you need it. It may not be a cure-all, but it’s certainly lifted me out of some dark places on the spot.
What Is a Positive Emotional Anchor?
Anchors are what link us between our present emotional state and a more preferred one. You might already use an anchor without even knowing it. Take music, for example. Maybe you’re dreading going into work, your favorite song comes on in the car, BAM your mood is instantly lifted and you’re ready to take on the day.
Unfortunately, hearing a song that reminds you of someone that’s no longer in your life may take you in a fast downward spiral. Scents, sounds, tastes and imagery all have the power to swing you one way or the other.
So, how can you use these to your benefit?
How to Create Your Anchor
Forming an anchor can be simple, it just takes practice. The more you can reinforce your anchor with all of your senses the better. That’s right, pull out the big guns for this one, your favorite scent, mudra, imagery and mantra. Here are some steps to get you started:
- What emotional state are you in need of most? Maybe it’s a feeling of safety, calm, happiness, or peace. We’ll build from the emotion you’d most like to bring into your life.
- Pick a scent that matches your emotion. I use lavender for mine.
- Choose a touch sensation that you can do while smelling your scent. This could be a simple mudra, maybe placing your hand over your heart, whatever feels right to you. Keep in mind you’ll need to be able to do it with one hand and you might need to use this tool in public so maybe don’t use placing your leg behind your head as your touch sensation 😉
- Decide on imagery that brings about the emotion you’re aiming for. This could be imagining you’re in a calm forest or simply imagining an object. I use the image of a feather for mine.
- Bring something auditory into the mix. This could be a favorite song, though you might not always have this available so a mantra is a great option. It can be something as simple as repeating, “I am safe”, “I choose peace”, or “so hum”.
- Now bring all of your tools together for one superpower of an emotional anchor. The next time you start to feel your anxiety or sadness triggered and need a boost, find a few moments to implement all of these at once.
Tip: The more you do this the more ingrained it will become in you. Our negative triggers form over years and this positive one will need time too. Treat this like a mini-meditation practice, the more you use it the more powerful it will become.
The best part is, you don’t have to do all of these things at once. If I’m in a public space but need some calm I’ll hold my mudra and quietly say my mantra to myself for some quick relief.
No matter what emotion you are choosing to anchor, feel relief in knowing that you don’t have to be at the mercy of your negative emotions today. Find power in choice. You have options today.
Cassie Uhl is the founder and owner of Zenned Out, a jewelry company that handcrafts jewelry with meaning and provides a community that inspires a mindful and spiritual lifestyle. Cassie grew up with a open minded, astrology obsessed grandmother and a father that would take her and her sister star gazing in the wee hours of the night. These experiences shaped Cassie and Zenned Out into what they are today by bringing spirituality and astrology into the forefront. Cassie hopes to give spiritual souls a place to feel at home on the Zenned Out blog and offers handcrafted jewelry with meaningful symbols, powerful gemstones, and mindful quotes to enable people to wear jewelry that aligns with their souls purpose.