Wherever you’re seeking guidance, your oracle cards can help! Oracle cards are an intuitive tool that can help you gain daily wisdom or insights on significant life challenges. Though I’m partial to my oracle card deck, The Ritual Deck, but you can apply this to any oracle card deck you’d like or, your favorite tarot cards.
Hint: Learn more about the difference between tarot and oracle cards here.
If you’re new to the world of oracle cards no need to be intimidated, you’re in the right place to learn how to perform oracle card readings for any issue.
If you’re a seasoned oracle card reader, let’s breathe some new life into your card reading practice!
Bonus: Keep reading for links to download a free oracle card cheat sheet for love and a new moon.
Asking The Right Kinds of Questions
As is the case with most intuitive tools, oracle cards included, they will rarely give you a simple black and white answer. Your guides and higher self can help lead you but don’t expect definitive answers. Your life is your life, and you lead the way.
For example, if you’re trying to find a romantic partner. Instead of asking your cards, “When will I find love,” think about the different aspects involved with finding a partner and what you could focus on to manifest more love in your life.
Here are some possible questions to ask your oracle cards when looking for love:
Love 5-Card Spread
- How can I love myself more?
- What areas of my life should I focus on to find love?
- What should I look for in a partner?
- What is holding me back from receiving love?
- What is holding me back from finding a romantic partner?
Click here to receive a printable card layout for the 5-card love spread.
Cards featured from The Ritual Deck.
Here are some open-ended sample questions that work well for oracle card readings.
- How can I invite more ____________ into my life?
- How can I overcome my fear of _____________ ?
- Am I going in the right direction with _____________ ?
- How can I let go of ____________ ?
- What should I focus on today?
- What should I focus on during this moon cycle?
- Where can I find more __________ in my life?
- What is blocking me from ____________ ?
- What is preventing me from manifesting ______________ ?
- In what ways am I holding myself back?
- How can I be in better alignment with my purpose?
How Many Cards Should I Pull?
You can pull one card or twenty cards. Your card readings can be as in-depth as you need them to be. It can be helpful to have an idea of what questions you’d like to ask before starting so you know about how many cards you’ll want to pull. That said, selecting multiple cards may lead to more questions! If more questions pop up, pull away, sister.
Designs & Cardinal Directions
Laying your cards out in a specific design isn’t necessary but can impart an added layer of meaning to your card reading. A simple design suggestion is to arrange your cards in an upward or downward facing triangle. An upward facing triangle will add masculine energy to your reading, and a downward facing triangle will add feminine energy to your reading.
Cards featured from The Ritual Deck.
The four cardinal directions are another way to add meaning to your reading. Face yourself and your cards in a specific direction to add more meaning in this way. Here’s a quick description of how each direction I can affect your reading.
- North: Issues related to the physical body
- East: Issues related to new beginnings
- South: Issues related to challenges or blocks
- West: Issues related to emotions
Let’s recap! Here are seven simple steps for creating oracle card spreads.
Steps to Perform an Oracle Card Reading
- In what areas of your life are you seeking guidance? It’s always helpful to go into a reading with a plan. Without an idea of what you need guidance on your message may be unclear.
- What question(s) could you ask that might shed light on this issue? Write them down beforehand to help stay on topic as you perform your reading.
- Get quiet, breathe deep, and call on your guides and higher self to help you select cards.
- Optional: Lay cards in a specific pattern that is meaningful to your topic.
- Optional: Face a specific direction as you perform your card reading.
- Pull your cards. Try not to judge the cards and what they might mean for you until you’re finished and can take in the entire reading.
- Decipher your reading with an open mind using your intuition and any guidebooks for the deck(s) you’re using. Welcome nudges from your higher self and guides and be open to signs as you move about your day that may be related to your message.
What If My Message Didn’t Make Sense?
Didn’t receive the message you were hoping for or expecting? Before you doubt the cards, wait a few days, and look for signs. Often, you’ll find that the message you received was exactly what you needed and it will usually make itself apparent. If you wait a few days and the message is still unclear, try clearing your mind with a short meditation and asking your higher self or guides to make the message more clear and do another card pull.
I hope you feel empowered to perform meaningful card readings for yourself and others!
Cassie Uhl is the founder and owner of Zenned Out, a jewelry company that handcrafts jewelry with meaning and provides a community that inspires a mindful and spiritual lifestyle. Cassie grew up with a open minded, astrology obsessed grandmother and a father that would take her and her sister star gazing in the wee hours of the night. These experiences shaped Cassie and Zenned Out into what they are today by bringing spirituality and astrology into the forefront. Cassie hopes to give spiritual souls a place to feel at home on the Zenned Out blog and offers handcrafted jewelry with meaningful symbols, powerful gemstones, and mindful quotes to enable people to wear jewelry that aligns with their souls purpose.