Aside from being beautiful works of art in and of themselves, Oracle and Tarot cards can be powerful divination tools. But, if you’re not familiar with these tools, deciding which deck to choose may have you stumped before you even start.
I want to give you the confidence to choose what works best for you. So many big questions present themselves in life and, you need to know how to prepare yourself! Today I’ve got the skinny on the difference between Tarot and Oracle cards, and info on how to choose a deck that will work best for you.
Let’s talk about the basics of Tarot and Oracle cards to help you find the best way to connect with the greater knowledge of the universe when life’s big moments pop up!
- 78 cards
- Prim & proper
- Organized into different suits
- Each tarot deck has a unique energy depending on where they came from, such as their design and printing process
- Measure outcomes and influence
- Can be lengthy and detailed
- Offers insight on situations
- Only images on the card, takes some studying
- Any number of card per deck
- Rebel deck
- Designed around a theme or deity
- Use your intuition to guide you rather than the structure of the deck
- Meant to give advice
- Quick and more open to individual interpretation
- Easy for beginners. Includes thoughtful phrases
How to Choose
- Trust your intuition. You might lean towards either method on a given day, or you might use one method over another for a certain question you have.
- Try them out. Which deck feels right? Is Tarot too grave, or are Oracle cards not enough for you? If you are seriously in the sticks with some relationship drama, the Tarot deck might offer the ins and outs you are searching for. If you’re less phased by this relationship woe, then a simple “You’re free to do what you choose,” might be all you need from an Oracle deck.
- Structure. Do you need it or do you run from it? When I’m in a place where my internal compass is all out of whack, I know I need to use my Tarot deck as my guide. If my gut has been pretty spot on, I’ll use my Oracle cards as my quick spot checking guide.
I’ve always been an Oracle card girl, but when I saw the Starchild Tarot deck, I fell in love and had to have it and now it’s one of my favorite decks. The Oracle cards featured is The Ritual Deck that I hand drew and created with the help of my amazing designer.
Don’t rule out one deck over the other just yet. Check out The Tarot and Oracle blog posts where I dig into the details on these divination tools! We’ll go over how to use each deck so that you can fine-tune your fortune-telling skills.
Cassie Uhl is a published author, artist, intuitive, and founder of Zenned Out. She created Zenned Out in 2012 with the mission to build a brand that normalizes spirituality. In 2018 she self-published her popular and interactive Goddess Discovery Book series. In 2020 her writing and art became more mainstream with Understanding Auras, Understanding Crystals, and Understanding Chakras, published by The Quarto Group. Her writing style and art combine to help marry accessibility with deep spiritual topics. It is her goal to help others understand and live spiritual practices that can change the world. Inspired by her open-minded grandmother, Cassie has been meditating and working with her energy since her teenage years. She received her 200hr YTT in 2012 with a focus on breathwork. Now, her work focuses on energy work, journeying, mediumship, death midwifery, and healing through traditional Celtic shamanic practices.